Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Books I'm Reading

Spencer and I are going to start sharing about the books we've been reading. Hopefully we'll be able to provide truthful, christian reviews about certain books. I'll be posting a list of the books I'm reading so that I'll be able to outline what I'll be writing about in my reviews. Unfortunately I don't have a list of the books Spencer's reading...so I guess it will just have to be a surprise! :D

Victoria's reading list:

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift:
I haven't read this yet but it looks very interesting! It was penned in 1726 and said to be one of the most compelling books ever written.

Kipling A Selection of His Stories and Poems by John Beecroft:
This book just contains a few of Kipling's stories such as the well known Jungle book and a few shorter works. Daddy thought this would be a good book to get me introduced to the writings of Kipling.

Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem:
I've been reading this book with the Forum on the Rebelution for about 10 months now. I love everything I've learned from this book. It is rather thick but the chapters are very short and relatively easy to understand especially if you know what you believe theologically. It has been challenging to stay on schedule but this week I will be reading chapter 41 (Death and the Intermediate State) and chapter 44 (The Church: It's Nature, It's Mark, and It's Purposes).

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen:
I love Jane Austen she is such a wonderful and captivating author! I haven't read a lot of her books but I'm hoping to start with Sense and Sensibility. I have seen the movie that was based on this book and in the two chapters I've read so far there exactly the same.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christy:
This book was so enjoyable to read! Agatha Christy so vividly explains her characters that you are never left to wonder how they look or act. It was comparable to if she had pictures. Murder on Orient Express was very different from your average mystery book - I never figured out who the murderer was until the very end whenever the detective found out. All the passengers on the train have such different personalities and express themselves in so many different, rather humorous ways.

The Birkenhead Drill by Douglas W. Phillips:
Most people don't know the story of the Birkenhead or just how similar the the happening and catastrophes of this ship are to the Titanic. The Birkenhead sunk about 60 years before the Titanic but the thing that is familiar is how both on the Titanic and the Birkenhead men stepped aside and chose horrible deaths over letting the women and children die.

The Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters:
This book has compiled stories of survivors from the Titanic and other people surrounding the accidents such as a few stories from passengers on the Carpethia (which rescued the people in the lifeboats from the Titanic.) This book also contains a lot of pictures and sketches of the Titanic and it's passengers. I enjoyed the chance to read this book so much because it told every detail, fact, and theory.

-Victoria

No comments: